Friday, September 26, 2008

Oh, Deer!

I fell in love with these cute reindeers the very first time I laid eyes on them a few years ago. But, distrust in my own colouring skills prevented me from buying the stamp. While I felt my watercolouring was okay, I worried about all the image's tiny details.

Thank goodness I finally caught up with the rest of the stamping world this year by discovering colour pencils used with Gamsol. This simple technique allows for more control over the smallest details any image may provide.
So, when I realized that the manufacturer is about to retire this cute stamp, I quickly snatched it up before it's too late, LOL.

I stamped the image on watercolour paper, using black Memories ink. While I did indeed use my colour pencils and Gamsol on the deer, I also reached for my red and green markers for the holly and berries, which I then softened with a little water from my Niji waterbrush and I watercoloured the background with a light wash of blue.

Isn't it terrific that the watercolour paper allows for watercolouring as well as Gamsol Magic?

On my card I used the following products:

2217J - Reindeers by Penny Black
F4176 - Santa's Reindeers by Hero Arts
Canson 120 lb 10sh Watercolour Paper
Koh-I-Noor Colour Pencils
Tombow Markers
Old Make-up (blush) for the reindeer cheeks
Inkssentials White Pen
Sakura Gellyroll Stardust

2 comments:

Monica Hunter said...

Your coloring is just perfect, no matter which medium you use! I really like the little hoof-prints at the bottom of the sentiment. Cute card!

Michelle Adams said...

You're the coloring wiz, Isabelle!